Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Music Room.

My first book of an Indian author was English, August by Upmanayu Chatterjee, which was lent to me by a friend and since then no foreign author interested me.

My librarian in BTM found my dedication towards Indian author quite unusual. And, always helped me getting my hands on the best Indian Authors he had with him. Sometime back while I browsing thru a pile of books to read something light after Jaishree Mishra’s Afterwards he came and said, “Nothing will interest you in this dump, you better try this book” and gave me The Music Room by Namita Devidayal.

Looking at the title, I said to myself, girl you are gone. I am not much of music lover and do not know anything about taans or taals. I was sure to return the book in a day because everything written inside would be greek or latin to me. My librarian read this on my face, he grinned and said, “You will enjoy this book.” Though, I had my 100% doubts.Late that night I read some 5 pages and to my surprise book actually nailed my interest in Dhodutai. Who was a dedicated music lover and a teacher to many. Book portrays life of three legendary singers that our land has produced.

• Ustad Allaidya Khan, founder of Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana was one such singer of that time who was allowed to sing in Hindu temples at Kolhapur. Due to lot of singing for kings he had lost his voice, however, he did not give up and developed a new style of singing which became a benchmark.
• Kesarbai Kerkar, disiple of Khansib had carried forward the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana. She earned many titles during her regime. She earned Padma Bhushan in 1969, Maharastra government gave her a title of “Rajya Gayika”, she was give a title “Surashi” by Sangeet Pravin Sangitanuragi Sajjan Saman Samiti of Calcutta and very year at Mumbai University a music festival is organized in her name where music scholarship is awarded to the deserving student.
• Dhondutai Kulkarni, is considered the last living icon of the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana and the one who has never been in to limelight.

Book takes you thru the life of these three legends and explains the relationship of a teacher and disciple, music and musician, sacrifice and withhold, love and hate. It travels from 19th century to 21st from Kolhapur to Mumbai. With each story that Dhodutai unfolds, your interest to know more about Khasahib and Kesarbai deepens.

Namita Deviyal has beautifully described each moment that she had spent with her master listening to all her childhood days spent in Kolhapur. Infact, I was so much moved by all the stories that I visited Kolhapur myself. Rankala lake, where Khansahib use to stroll during the evenings, Mahalaxmi temple where he sang for goddess, Court of Shahu Maharaj where he was employed.

My next goal is to go to Mumbai and see the house where Kesarbai had spent her last days. And then meet Dhodutai the last living legend.

What this book didn’t have is a proper channel of promotion and that’s the reason hardly anyone knows about it. Its must read for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment